Care to have some fun, keep your family communicating every night, and grow in your understanding of yourself and God? Try this simple five-step process for the next six weeks and see if it doesn’t help!
Here’s how you do it: Whoever is going to bed first in your home calls “FAITH 5” or “Huddle Up!” Everyone must drop what they’re doing, turn off the television, put down the newspaper or their homework, set the cell phone on silence and gather in a room of the convener’s choice. Then take turns going through these five simple steps:
1. SHARE highs & lows of the day
2. READ and highlight a verse of Scripture in your Bible
3. TALK about how the verse relates to your highs & lows
4. PRAY for your highs & lows, for your family, and for the world
5. BLESS one another
You want a great relationship with your kids? You want openness, honesty, caring and sharing in your family? You want to raise a child to be a strong, thoughtful, empathetic, positive, healthy adult out in the world some day? You can’t buy that. You have to invest in it. And the investment is the most expensive currency you own – your TIME – aimed at that most precious young person in your life.
Kids spell love TIME. Be intentional. Be consistent. Be caring. Be the parent. Every night. Every home.
No one else can do that for you.
1. For Parents of Young Children: What would it be worth to you to have a teenager some day who won’t go to sleep without talking to you about their day? Praying with you? Blessing you? Would it be worth five minutes? Tonight? Every night?
2. For Parents of Pre-Teens: What would happen to your family over time if you were able to keep this open, caring communication going every night throughout adolescence?
3. For Parents of Teenagers: Once the teen years begin and drivers’ licences come into play, communication between parents and teens can become a challenge. How might this type of five-minute conversation change a family if they were intentional and consistent about it? Would the benefits outweigh the hassle of trying to invest this time of care, listening, and prayer each night in your home? Why or why not?
4. For Church Leaders: What would happen to a family over time if they made an intentional point of doing the Faith 5 most every night? What would happen to your church five years from today if the majority of your households were doing active listening, scripture, faith talk, prayer, and blessings every night?
Faith Inkubators has resources at every phase of parenting that connect church to home using the FAITH 5:
Faith Stepping Stones (Family Ministry): Add these steps at critical phases in parenting with this fun and effective family ministry system.
Bible Song (Children's Ministry): Connect church themes to the FAITH 5 at home life with music, cartoons, games and more in this arts-based Sunday School system.
Head to the Heart (Adolescent/Confirmation/Youth Ministry): Integrate 90 key themes in an young person's life and connect church themes to home discussions and the FAITH 5 using these energy-packed resources.
Living Journals: Record your highs, lows and prayers during FAITH 5 time each night with these beautiful books, then hop online and listen to the scripture music, play the games, view the art and interact with the themes.
Online FINKlinks: Test out these fun links...
Children and Family:
Youth and Family:
FAITH 5 Poster (PDF)
FAITH 5 Postcard (PDF)
FAITH 5 Bulletin Insert (PDF)
FAITH 5 Placemat (Color PDF)
FAITH 5 Placemat (B&W PDF)
Order a beautiful FAITH 5 color poster: If you'd like a beautiful poster to help remind you to do the FAITH 5 every night, click here.
Paintings by He Qi